As a big rig truck driver, there is nothing more important than safety out on the highway. While there are times when it appears as if the moving of products to and from any destination is the important component to the trucking industry, the more vital concern is, and should always be, safety. At Bay & Bay Transportation in Minneapolis, Minnesota, we emphasize safety first.
According to The Star Tribune, while there are strict Federal and state regulations governing semis, enforcement of these regulations has become lax nationally and in Minnesota. And, in a study by the Centers For Disease Control, after a 35 year-low in 2009, there has been a steady uptick in fatalities involving large-truck occupants. Per the US Department of Transportation, that number is 18 percent.
This is a trend which can be reversed for the better. There are some preventative steps you, as a truck driver, can take to ensure safety on the road. Some of these are:
- Sleep – sleeping and being well rested is a priority while driving.
- Wear a seat belt – the wearing of seat belts is a well-studied precautionary rule for driving.
- Regular safety inspections – your truck is your living. Inspecting it before each journey ensures your livelihood. An inspected and safe rig affirms your commitment to your job.
- Obey speed limits – it’s the law. Beyond the obvious legal ramifications, a clean driving record is an important component of your job.
- Do not text or use a phone while driving – studies have shown, time and again, that texting, or being otherwise distracted by the cell phone, can cause great harm to you or other drivers on the road.
At Bay & Bay in Minneapolis and beyond, we strongly emphasize safety training. We are in regular communication with you. We believe in you – the truck driver – and your ability to assess your driving situations. We give you latitude and know that you will communicate with us about your experiences on the road and your vehicle. Always know that as a truck driver for Bay & Bay Transportation in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the safety of you – the driver – is our priority. Contact us today to find out more about a career in truck driving.